About Us

The Small Vessel Code lays out the differing levels of competence that a candidate must achieve in order to obtain a certificate for the level desired. The Code is the national standard and any person who desires to train or examine small vessel skippers shall adhere to the specifications and level of knowledge detailed therein.

To operate a vessel, smaller or equal to 9 meters and with engine power of more than 15hp on all ports, fishing harbours, tidal rivers, tidal lagoons, estuaries and all inland waters of South Africa a skipper's license is required. The penalties for operating without a valid license are high and inspectors are clamping down on those operating without a license.

SKIPPER ACADEMY GAUTENG NORTH and its instructors are all registered with SAMSA (South African Maritime Safety Authority) who issue the skipper license on behalf of the Department of Transport.

Courses are held in Pretoria and venues are selected depending on the size of the class. Other towns can be arranged for classes of 10 or more. We will bring the course to you.

Contact Persons:

Willie Oosterhuis. Cel. 083 727 3913. E-mail: willie@oosterhuis.co.za

SAMSA no. 00054. Skipper course Lecturer, Examiner and boat surveyor and Practical instructor

Pieter Bronkhorst. Cel. 082 874 4513. E-mail: BronkhorstP@arc.agric.za SAMSA no 00053. Skipper course Lecturer, Examiner and boat surveyor and Practical instructor

Johan Franken. Cel. 082 374 4356. E-mail: johan@exoticanursery.co.za SAMSA appointed Practical instructor.

Course fees:

R 2200.00 including SAMSA fees and Skippers manual

The Academy at the moment offers the following courses:


Skipper of an R license may operate a vessel in all Ports, Fishing harbours, tidal rivers and lagoons, estuaries, and all inland waters in South Africa.


Copy of ID document ( must be 16 years old )
Four Passport photos ( can be colour or black & white)
Medical certificate ( see attached )
Log of minimum 25 hours on dams or rivers signed by applicant/student ( see form attached )
Attend an approved course.
Pass the SAMSA approved examination paper.


Skipper of Cat E license may operate a vessel from a sheltered launch site 1nm from shoreline and 15 nm from sheltered launch site.


Copy of ID document. ( must be 18 years old )
Four passport photos. ( can be colour or black & white )
Medical certificate. ( see attached )
Log of minimum 25 hours on sea to be signed by a licensed skipper. ( Form attached )
ID document of skipper who signed off log.
Skipper license copy of skipper who signed off log.
Must attend a skipper course.
Pass the SAMSA approved examination course.

ONLINE course:

Students who wish to do the online course (only for students with expierence in operating a vessel may apply for this course) can contact us and we will send the online gideline manual to you free. You can also buy the skipper course manual in bookform from us at R 120.00 ( deductable from the total Amount when you attend the course or do the exam. You can also get the online gideline manual from NSRI ( National Sea Rescue Institute) free on their website.

Temporary License: You will receive your temporary license after you have submitted all your documents as above requierments for Cat R and Cat E and also did the written exam as approved by SAMSA.

COF's: We also do COF's on vessels up to 9 meter in lenght and engine power more than 15hp R 500

Buoyancy: We Install new buoyancy and issue Buoyancy certificates. Buoyancy certificates are valid for 5 years from date of issue. R 250.00